This Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry is the perfect winter warmer; flavoursome, hearty and nutritious. The sweet potato chunks and coconut milk compliment each other perfectly whilst the chickpeas add a protein packed crunch. I serve mine with basmati rice but why not try adding a wholemeal chapati, vegan naan bread or another wholegrain.
Time: 30-40 minutes | Serves 4
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of coconut milk
1 tin of chickpeas
500g of sweet potatoes
150g of spinach
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium red onion
1 tsp of olive oil
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 lemon juiced
salt and pepper
1. Begin by peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes and set to boil for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, dice the onion and garlic cloves and lightly fry until golden in a separate pan.
3. Next, add the turmeric and cumin to the diced vegetables and stir.
4. Drain the sweet potatoes and set back on the hob, adding the onion and garlic to the saucepan.
5. Add the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes and simmer.
6. After a further 10-15 minutes, once the potatoes are cooked through, add the chickpeas and spinach and stir.
7. Before serving, add the juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper seasoning.
8. Serve on a bed of rice or with a bread of your choice.